Sunday, November 13, 2011

"Rural Remnants of the San Fernando Valley" at La Galeria Gitana 11-19-11 through 12-24-11

"Matilija Poppy" 16" x 20" Watercolor & Acrylic on paper mounted on canvas

I am happy to be included in another show at La Galeria Gitana in San Fernando:
La Galeria Gitana
120 N. Maclay Avenue Ste. E
San Fernando, CA 91340
(818) 898-7708
Gallery Hours:
Tuesday - Saturday noon to 6 pm

The opening is next Saturday 11-19-11 from 6-10 pm.



Three of my paintings are in this exhibit, including Matilija Poppy. The director of the gallery, Karen Nichols, thought of me for this exhibit because of my painting "After the Rain" a watercolor of the orange tree in my backyard. As I contemplated other possible paintings that might fit the "Rural Remnants of the San Fernando Valley" theme of the show I asked friends and family "What could I paint that represents the rural San Fernando Valley? And it has to be something that I would paint..." I don't paint tractors or trucks... at least I haven't felt the need to do so yet. This was kind of a test, and only a few brave souls were willing to play with me. Brian suggested the Matilija Poppy, a native of the area. It was the perfect suggestion. I had an abundance of photographs of the poppies that I drove by daily each spring for the last few years. They spring up from nowhere and simply take over. They demand attention. I have wanted to paint them for awhile. I liked this particular composition with the chain link fence because it felt like a "rural remnant".

No comments: